Monday, March 26, 2012

Chickadee's

Meet Charlie, Sunny,and Gracie. Our new baby chicks. They are two weeks old and so tiny.

For the last two years or so I have been trying to talk Pete into getting chickens. So on Saturday like most Saturdays Pete and I were working in the yard and needed to make a run to IFA for some garden supplies. While we were there we saw all the new baby chicks and we were both so enthralled. They were so cute and tiny. So Pete and I decided to talk to one of the chick specialists. And I couldn't believe it but Pete got so excited and next thing I new we were buying all the supplies to take home and get a space ready for our new baby chicks. The kids had spent the day with their cousins and grandparents and weren't with us so we decided we wanted to surprise them. We got all the stuff home and went to pick up the kids so we could take them to pick out their own chicks. With the help of the lady at IFA Parker and Hannah hand selected the cleanest most docile yet lively and bright chicks we could find in the breed we wanted. We had so much fun taking them home on Saturday and we spent the rest of the day getting their new home ready and holding them. I think raising urban chickens is going to be such a neat thing for our family. The main reasons I want our family to raise chickens are very simple 1. to teach the kids responsibility and work ethic. Right now these chicks are Parker and Hannah's responsibility. We told them when we were getting them that they would have to do almost all the work and they agreed to this. They clean the brooder everyday and change their food and water everyday. And once they start producing eggs they will be in charge of gathering the eggs daily and cleaning the coop weekly. 2. The eggs!!! I can't wait for the day when we get our first fresh organic eggs. It makes me so giddy!! Each of our chicks will produce around 300 eggs a year. 3. It's something we can all do together and share in. We are having so much fun learning about these chicks and all helping out.



4 comments:

Elisa said...

Oh yay! That is so fun! We've talked about getting some for awhile, but never have. I buy our eggs from someone local, but I think it would be so neat to raise them ourselves and allow the kids to be involved. We'll have to come over and see sometime.

Tisa said...

So fun. I've thought about getting a couple chickens just haven't braved it yet.

Amber said...

They are adorable! What a great idea. So fun!!

Lindsay said...

Enjoy! Looking forward to reading your progress with the chicks.

Top 10 Movies

  • The Mission
  • Lars and The Real Girl
  • Sunshine Cleaning
  • Officespace
  • Crash
  • Braveheart
  • Babel
  • Legends of The Fall
  • Run Fatboy Run
  • Two Weeks Notice/ About a Boy

Favorite Documentaries!

  • Baraka
  • Beyond Belief
  • Born into Brothels
  • Food Inc.
  • Ghosts of Abu Ghraib
  • Man on Wire
  • My Kid Could Paint That
  • No End In Sight
  • The Cove
  • Young at Heart