Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Business of Being Born

I just finished watching "the business of being born" for the second time. Loved it even more this time. I'm feeling so empowered and want so badly to have a natural childbirth with this baby. My hope this time is to find the perfect balance of letting my body do what it was made to do naturally, while not being ignorant to the amazing medical advances we have today at our disposal. My fear is having to have another cesarean where I'm not the first person to hold my baby, in fact I was probably the tenth person with Parker. My fear is having another cesarean where I remember next to nothing because of the amount of drugs in my system. My fear is having another cesarean where I don't get to hold my child for at least an hour or more after birth. My hope is to have a delivery where my body is so aware of what is going on and being able to remember some of the details later. My hope is to be the first person to hold my child that has just come from my body. To hold this new being close to me, skin to skin, and always be able to remember that moment. I guess I feel a little robbed because I definitely got none of that with Parker. With Hannah I remember more but still had to wait a long time to see my baby girl. I'm so thankful both of my babies were delivered alive and pretty healthy. But I can't help but wonder what the other experience is like. So I have finally decided on a birth plan that I will plan and discuss with my OB on October 5th and I can't wait. My doctor and his wife had I believe 10 children so I hope he will share my excitement in my plan.

I would like to have an in hospital natural childbirth. I would like to spend as much time at home as possible in early labor. I want to have the comfort of my own bed, my own bathtub, my own surroundings I'm comfortable in. I would like to arrive at the hospital in active labor and to deliver my baby naturally. I feel like because of my history it is important to be in a hospital because I do understand that complications do arise and thank goodness for modern medicine. Otherwise Parker and I probably wouldn't be here today. I'm going to look into Hypnobirthing as a form of extreme relaxation to use during labor. But I want an OB there to help me deliver my baby.

Any of you soon to be moms should watch "the business of being born" I loved it. It was such a beautiful and informative documentary. (but just a heads up I totally forgot that it has the "f" word in it. I hate that! It ruins a perfectly good movie!!! Sorry) It's once in the middle for no good reason, and again at the end when a mom is in extreme pain in natural childbirth in a taxi cab. There you can watch at your own discretion or not at all. Sorry.

-I couldn't believe this fact below that just blew my mind.

*did you know that in Europe and Japan more than 70% of all births are done with the help of a midwife.

* in the united states they attend less than 8% of births.

6 comments:

Deanna said...

I had Kortlen naturally...and if you'd asked me last year if I'd do it again, I'd have told you yes and no. NOW, I'd say YES!!!!! Only I want to prepare myself mentally, and physically, and just all around...instead of saying, "lets do this without drugs" and the nurses agreeing. LOL! Good for you for looking into all your options. The stats are mind boggling, aren't they!

Deanna said...

Just read through my comment....I meant to say NEXT TIME I'll prepare better...I made it sound like I'm expecting, and i'm not. LOL!

Rachel said...

That is so great Deanna. I know so few women who have and it is great to get encouragement from those who have done it! You are my new hero!!!

Valerie Hall said...

I had Madden naturally but not by choice. I think it would have gone better if I would have been mentally prepared:) It was so hard so I don't know that I could say I would do it again but my recovery was amazing and I felt so good and empowered after! My good friend down here does it and she said she read a really good book to help with going natural. I will find out what it was.

Lindsay said...

Rachel, the anticipation of a new baby is so exciting. I love all of your thoughts. New beginnings are so exciting.
I am so glad you are open to whatever your body needs b/c Vbacks can be tricky. Nursing is wonderful. I went the 12 months and could not go longer b/c the kids were well fed with the food they were getting - not interested at all anymore. Blake is 3 now - and I absolutely could not imagine still breastfeeding him - it would be breastfeeding a giant and yes, he would talk about it. Ha Ha! The length of time is really between you and the baby, and what the baby needs - may wean naturally at some point.
Baby wearing is great if your back can handle it. Unfortunately, my back could not. But I held them as much as I possibly could and we are all perfectly close.
Whatever path you take, if you just love your child it all works out.
While disposable diapers are not great - one argument for them is cloth takes water. Of course, washers are getting more energy efficient with their water. Too bad biodegradable diapers are way too expensive. Being ecofriendly really needs to get cheaper!
Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Love you, dear friend.

Rachel said...

You guys are so awesome! I love hearing all your input it really helps. I'm so nervous and so excited for all of this. I'm really trying to prepare myself better this time:)

Top 10 Movies

  • The Mission
  • Lars and The Real Girl
  • Sunshine Cleaning
  • Officespace
  • Crash
  • Braveheart
  • Babel
  • Legends of The Fall
  • Run Fatboy Run
  • Two Weeks Notice/ About a Boy

Favorite Documentaries!

  • Baraka
  • Beyond Belief
  • Born into Brothels
  • Food Inc.
  • Ghosts of Abu Ghraib
  • Man on Wire
  • My Kid Could Paint That
  • No End In Sight
  • The Cove
  • Young at Heart