Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Deja Vu

This morning after breakfast was finished I got Parker off to school and then I started my usual morning routine. I usually clean the Kitchen first and then move on to the rest of the house. When that is done I move on to getting Hannah and I ready for the days activities whatever they may be. But this morning as I sat doing my dishes with "local natives"(my new absolute favorite band)rocking in the background everything seemed so familiar, like I had done this exact thing before!! The music was the same, my clothes were the same, the dishes were the same, the weather outside looked the same, everything was the same!!! It was a major DEJA VU moment. It made me feel very mundane and bored. I decided right then and there that I was going to do something different today that I normally wouldn't do. No I didn't go skydiving(I wish)!! No, I decided and told Hannah that we were going to go see Dad at work and take him lunch and then go shopping!!! Most of you are probably thinking lame. But Pete's job doesn't really work for random drop ins seeing as he is a teacher. Maybe most of our husbands jobs don't really work for random stop ins? I guess I just feel especially out of place at Pete's work because of all the students. They look at me like I'm some kind of half breed and they can't believe Mr. Lassen has a life, a home, and wife and kids. It's really weird! I'm usually there just on his breaks but he always has students dropping by his class and they always look at me like I am so out of place, which I guess I kind of am. ANYWAYS they don't happen very often, usually just holidays. But since he is going to be getting out of school for Christmas soon I decided to just go and pretend it's a little Holiday. I guess I am the one who needs the Holiday away from looking out the same window, doing the same dishes, wearing the same thing, listening to the same music etc.........!

How do you break away from the mundane things of everyday life?
Vacations don't count! I mean when you have those Deja Vu days and you just need to get out of the house and do something different?!?!?

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I have deja-boo every day. LOL! Every day is the same, but every day is an adventure!

you know all those little projects I do? Yeah. That's how I break up the monotony. :)

Elisa said...

I think a lot of what people do in life is monotonous and repetitive. If I'm feeling like doing something different sometimes I'll do really small simple things. Here are a few things I do sometimes. If you think of any others you do to help mix things up let me know because like you, I'm always looking for fun new(and in expensive) things to do with the kids or at home.

1.When it comes to my workout schedule(which i do every morning after breakfast and before I get ready), if I want to change things up sometimes I'll check out a new work out video from the library or jump rope or something like that.

2.we'll go to the library and sit down in the children's section and read lots of books.

3.i'll do my hair in a different way :). I know that sounds lame but it's kind of fun :).

4. i'll experiment with a new recipe

5. bake something we love

6. the kids and I will plan a surprise for daddy (like clean the house really well, or make him a nice card or get him his favorite treat)

7. we'll do a craft

Hopefully something there is new for you :).

Top 10 Movies

  • The Mission
  • Lars and The Real Girl
  • Sunshine Cleaning
  • Officespace
  • Crash
  • Braveheart
  • Babel
  • Legends of The Fall
  • Run Fatboy Run
  • Two Weeks Notice/ About a Boy

Favorite Documentaries!

  • Baraka
  • Beyond Belief
  • Born into Brothels
  • Food Inc.
  • Ghosts of Abu Ghraib
  • Man on Wire
  • My Kid Could Paint That
  • No End In Sight
  • The Cove
  • Young at Heart