Sunday, April 1, 2012

Grandma Bird's Food Dehydrator

Some time ago my mom gave me my grandma's old food dehydrator and it has been sitting in my garage ever since. Until this week I pulled it out and got to work. I cleaned out all the cob webs and put a nice layer of restore a finish on the wood. The trays are still in immaculate condition. I have no idea how old it is but I know it sat in her basement for years where she used it all the time. She had it custom built years ago and it is still a great piece. So we made Banana chips and apple slices this weekend. I think this week I will try strawberries and eventually I would like to do pineapple and Jerky. I was really shocked how sweet the banana chips turned out they actually tasted like candy almost they were that sweet. And the apples oh the apples I used Granny Smith and they were the perfect tartness and crispy chewyness. We will call it a success for now because the kids really do like them and I could careless how many they have.



2 comments:

Deanna said...

Yummo!!! ♥♥♥

Elisa said...

I recently acquired a food dehydrator as well. So far I've made apple and banana chips and a living granola. The banana chips weren't our favorite, but I LOVE the apple chips. I'm going to dehydrate some more and have them out during bookclub :). The living granola is good too, though only Jane and I really eat it so I guess not everyone would agree :). Let me know if you come across anything else you love.

Top 10 Movies

  • The Mission
  • Lars and The Real Girl
  • Sunshine Cleaning
  • Officespace
  • Crash
  • Braveheart
  • Babel
  • Legends of The Fall
  • Run Fatboy Run
  • Two Weeks Notice/ About a Boy

Favorite Documentaries!

  • Baraka
  • Beyond Belief
  • Born into Brothels
  • Food Inc.
  • Ghosts of Abu Ghraib
  • Man on Wire
  • My Kid Could Paint That
  • No End In Sight
  • The Cove
  • Young at Heart