Thursday, March 10, 2011

Raw Foods

I cannot begin to tell you how much Pete, my parents, and the kids loved these raw cookie balls. Parker even gave one to his friend Ellie at school yesterday and he said she loved it. Such a hit!!
So here is what a did to make these, it's kind of a made up recipe:

4c. rolled oats
1/2c. almond butter
1/2c. coconut oil(coconut oil is amazing, I use it as lotion also)
1T. good quality vanilla(I like Sunflower markets)
3-4T. cocoa nibs( I really just dumped some out of my bag I have no idea how much I used that is just a guess)
1c. agave
1/2c. unsweetened organic shredded coconut
1c. dried unsweetened cranberries
mix by hand in bowl
you may need to double broil the coconut oil first on a very very low temp. I didn't I just worked it in real well with my hands, your hands have enough warmth to melt the coconut oil. It has a very very low melting point!!

Then drop by spoonfuls on to wax paper and keep in fridge or freezer. I freeze mine.

ENJOY!

I've been venturing more and more lately into the world of raw foods. It is a slow and gradual process. There is so much information out there but I am starting small. I attended a raw foods course that was amazing and very motivating. It is so refreshing seeing other people inspired, passionate, and motivated about the same things you are. I have also gotten a lot of information from my cousin Elisa's blog she is uber-amazing!! We have been trying to eat mostly organic all ready but this is just another step in Health that Pete and I both feel is important! So a few of the small steps I have started with is making my own almond milk, almond butter, great smoothies, and raw cookie balls for the kids. I have been sprouting my own quinoa to use as a substitute for cooked pasta, oatmeal, and rice!!! So yummy. I'm not saying we are going to be complete raw foodies but a big portion of our diet is now going to consist of raw foods. I think one of the things that I love about raw foods is all the clever ways they use fresh raw organic veggies and fruit. My kids love the smoothies and cookies!! It's a start=)


Cooked Quinoa I used it for oatmeal with fresh berries this morning!

Below: Sprouting my own quinoa, maybe it's just spring fever but I had so much fun doing this and seeing the little sprouts start to grow. Isn't nature amazing!!

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Rachel, you are amazing! Funny that you should mention coconut oil because yesterday I wrote a few posts, one of which was about coconuts and coconut oil. It should show up on my blog tomorrow :). We love quinoa but I haven't tried sprouting it yet, I'm going to have to do that. And the other day someone was talking about almond butter and I thought I'd like to make some. Do you have a high power blender, or how do you make yours?

By the way, we need to get together soon. It would be fun to have some whole foods items to share when we got together so we can try new recipes out.

Rachel said...

That would be so much fun! I would love to get to together and swap food, and I could pick your brain for new recipes!!

Top 10 Movies

  • The Mission
  • Lars and The Real Girl
  • Sunshine Cleaning
  • Officespace
  • Crash
  • Braveheart
  • Babel
  • Legends of The Fall
  • Run Fatboy Run
  • Two Weeks Notice/ About a Boy

Favorite Documentaries!

  • Baraka
  • Beyond Belief
  • Born into Brothels
  • Food Inc.
  • Ghosts of Abu Ghraib
  • Man on Wire
  • My Kid Could Paint That
  • No End In Sight
  • The Cove
  • Young at Heart