Monday, November 23, 2009

BYU Newspaper Article

Cougar Creations manager releases first Christmas album

Hundreds of BYU students file through Cougar Creations print and copy center each day to get their Ensigns bound, print out resumes or laminate posters.

Behind the counter of the popular print shop the manager not only keeps things organized and running, but has just released his first professional album.

Fred Grazzini Jr., born in Tacoma, Wash., has worked at BYU for 19 years and has been the manager of Cougar Creations for two years. Grazzini said creating his album titled “I See the Star,” has fulfilled one of his life dreams. The album features Christmas music he wrote and arranged and performances by guitarist Michael Dowdle.

Grazzini’s daughter, Rachel Lassen, said her family was surprised with his new album because he never told them about his project. She said her mom told them after he had been working on it for more than a month.

“It’s a huge thing to see him fulfill his dreams,” Lassen said. “No matter how old he was, he just went for it and is a good example to his kids and grandkids.”

Lassen, who had tears in her voice when talking about her father, said she loves the CD mostly because her dad wrote it.

“It’s about Christ reaching out to people who need help, and my dad does that unknowingly,” Lassen said.

All of Grazzini’s music has a spiritual and religious feel to it. Grazzini said he likes to write religious music because he feels so strongly about it.

“That’s kind of how I share my testimony and how I express my feelings for spiritual things,” Grazzini said.

He said he gained a strong testimony of Jesus Christ while he was serving a mission in south Texas 35 years ago.

“Deciding to go on a mission was a real turning point in my life and it set a foundation for all my decisions after that,” Grazzini said.

He grew up in a home with six siblings where music was greatly appreciated. His father earned his living as a private piano teacher and performed at clubs in a jazz band.
“I didn’t make a career out of music, but it’s always been a real passion and a really strong hobby of mine,” Grazzini said.

He said he was never technically trained as a musician, but taught himself how to play guitar and piano when he was a teenager. He said he hopes people will listen to his CD and feel peaceful and happy.

“I want people to be drawn to the Savior and spiritual things,” Grazzini said. “I want them to feel good.”

Grazzini’s wife of 32 years, LuAnn, said Grazzini is probably the kindest person she knows.
“One of the things I really value about him is he is a really kind person,” LuAnn Grazzini said. “He has taught me to see where other people are coming from.”

She said her husband always plays the piano and sings at home. He loves to play with their grandchildren and makes up games and songs on the whim.

“Fred enjoys life, people and himself,” his wife said, laughing. “He can be in the moment, he’s genuine and he’s just quirky.”

Max Behling, the manager of digital print centers at BYU, said he has known Grazzini for 16 years and has always been impressed with his character.

“I think he is really good with his student employees,” Behling said. “He always takes time to give them fatherly advice on studies and dating and just watches out for them.”

He said Grazzini is the kind of guy who would give a kidney to save a life. In fact, Grazzini donated one of his kidneys to his brother six years ago at the age of 50.

“It was not a hard decision,” Grazzini said. “If you are healthy, and I was healthy, you don’t worry about it, you just do it.”

One of Grazzini’s employees, Amanda Christensen, a junior studying public health, said working for Grazzini has been a great experience.

“He has a great sense of humor and he gives really good advice,” Christensen said. “He’s been the best manager I have ever had and he is always willing to help you.”

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Rachel, That was simply fabulous!!! I loved it. :) THanks for sharing. :)

Stephanie Crandall said...

I love his CD! I have listened to it over and over! <3

Top 10 Movies

  • The Mission
  • Lars and The Real Girl
  • Sunshine Cleaning
  • Officespace
  • Crash
  • Braveheart
  • Babel
  • Legends of The Fall
  • Run Fatboy Run
  • Two Weeks Notice/ About a Boy

Favorite Documentaries!

  • Baraka
  • Beyond Belief
  • Born into Brothels
  • Food Inc.
  • Ghosts of Abu Ghraib
  • Man on Wire
  • My Kid Could Paint That
  • No End In Sight
  • The Cove
  • Young at Heart